Recipe type: Dessert
- for the crust:
- 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs (chocolate graham crackers or any other plain chocolate cookie)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter , melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup natural cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips.
- chocolate shavings for garnish (I used a store bought mixture of milk, dark & white chocolate)
- mix the cookie crumbs and brown sugar in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Press into bottom of a 9 inch sprig form pan and set aside..
- For the filling:
- Mix the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla & salt in a food processor until thoroughly blended and the mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Add the mixture to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer whisking the whole time. Once the mixture comes to a simmer, add the cream cheese, butter and chocolate chips and whisk until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk for three minutes until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the pan with the crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic wrap is touching the surface to avoid a skin forming).
- Chill cake for at lest 2 hours before slicing. To garnish sprinkle with chocolate shavings