- 12-16 drumsticks ((3-4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Sweet Heat Marinade/Sauce
- 1 10 oz. jar jalapeno jelly*
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add jalapeno jelly to a microwave safe bowl and microwave until jelly is slightly liquefied and stirable. Add jelly and remaining marinade ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add 1/2 cup marinade and chicken to a large freezer bag, seal and turn until all the chicken is evenly coated. Marinate in the fridge for for 12-24 hours, turning occasionally. Refrigerate the unused reserved marinade/sauce separately.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and top with a baking/cooling rack. Lightly spray rack with nonstick cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade and discard. Squeeze each piece of chicken dry with paper towels (the more dry, the crispier the skin) and line chicken on the baking rack without pieces touching. Pierce each piece of chicken 3-4 times with a fork. Let set at room temperature for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray chicken with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 35-40 minutes. If crispier skin is desired, broil to desired crispiness (I don’t find this is necessary if you bake for 40 minutes).
- When chicken is done and cooling (you can remove skin at this point if desired), whisk 2 teaspoons cornstarch to the reserved marinade/sauce. Add to a large saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium high and let simmer (it will bubble a lot) for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sauce has reduced and thickened. Let sit 3-5 minutes to cool slightly then pour over chicken in a large bowl. Toss to evenly combine. Dip chicken in any extra sauce or serve over rice.